Exercising regularly has many benefits as I am sure you already know. Benefits that extend to not only your physical and mental well-being but a host of
many other extras like increased energy, better sleep and can be very positive socially too.
According to recent research Australian’s over 40 are not exercising as much as they should and “only around one in 10 Australians over the age of 50 exercises
enough to gain any cardiovascular benefit. Some estimates suggest that about half of the physical decline associated with old age may be due to a lack
of physical activity.”
Staying healthy doesn’t have to be hard just 30 mins a day and a mixture of aerobic and muscle strengthening activity is all that is required according to health experts.
Some aerobic activities include a brisk walk with friends, partaking in one of your favourite dance classes like ballroom or line dancing, playing doubles tennis, even mowing the lawn weekly can be considered part of your exercise routine.
While muscle strengthening activities include, pilates, yoga, gardening, small weights and moving around heavy loads like groceries.
Try to incorporate the strength type activities two to three times a week with a view to eventually fitting them in daily.
An easy movement tip – Lunges are also a strengthening activity and are an easy one to incorporate into your daily activities, for example when there is an ad break in your favourite TV show, get up and do a few lunges until your program comes back on. Variety is key, so try and mix it up a little.
If you get into the habit of moving regularly you can expect to increase your wellbeing in departments like –
- Healthy cardiovascular benefits
- Strengthening exercises can help keep bones strong and healthy
- Keep joint pain at bay – ( MSM can also help to reduce this further)
If you need a bit of motivation to get you started then –
- Try an activity that you actually like and are interested in.
- Why not organise a group of your friends to exercise with?
- Don’t put too much pressure on yourself to get results fast. Take it easy but be consistent with your exercise and more importantly have fun doing