Throughout the ages we have tried to find beauty secrets that will keep us more youthful and attractive. However some of these secrets are no more than myths that can actually damage your skin.
Here are five common skincare myths that can do more harm than good:
1. Dry Skin Equals Wrinkly Skin: Dry skin is not what causes wrinkles. It is actually a breakdown in collagen. Believing this myth often causes people to over moisturise with the wrong types of products, which can lead to blemish breakouts. Instead, to combat wrinkles you have to look for products that will improve the production of collagen.
2. Petroleum Jelly Grows Eye Lashes: This is a myth that can really wreak havoc with smooth skin. Not only is it not true and will do nothing to improve the length of your lashes, it will also cause puffiness to your eyes and add those nasty little white heads that, without the right skincare product, are difficult to remove.
3. Use Ice to Shrink Pores: Although they do say a splash of cold water in the morning can help shrink pores, using ice to shrink pores can cause plenty of damage. In fact, both very hot and very cold water can actually cause broken capillaries. These unsightly little veins are far harder to hide than large pores – which can be lessened with a number of skin care products and mineral makeup. Large pores are inherent to your skin type and cannot be removed.
4. Your Age Determines Your Skin Products: Age is not a ‘skin type’ per se, yet unfortunately many people choose products based on their age. Your skin type such as oily, dry, or combination is a better determining factor on what types of products you should be using. If you have oily skin, too heavy or oily a formula can lead to breakouts. Likewise, sensitive skin can react to formulas with too many ingredients. Look at the ingredients and consider your skin type – just because you are over fifty really shouldn’t be an influencing factor.
5. Oily Skin Does Not Need Moisturisers: Moisturisers are intended to provide water and a protective seal, not more oil. A good water-based moisturiser provides hydration as well as a protective barrier ideal for oily skin.
Being aware of the harm these myths can cause will help you care for your skin more effectively.
At Mismo our skincare formulas have been developed using facts-based information to create premium products from only the very highest grade ingredients. Learn more here