– aka Teenage acne is very common in the Western World, 80 - 90 percent of teenagers suffer with some degree of Acne Vulgaris, some teenagers will suffer to the point of losing their confidence. When children reach their teenage years and start to become adults, androgens such as testosterone (hormones) are released. This revs up the hormones causing changes to the body including the over production of sebum (oil) within the skin, causing the skin follicles to become blocked, inflamed, dead skin cells become like glue blocking pores and trapping bacteria within and on the skin, leading to acne (blockages of the hair follicles).
Acne Vulgaris can be recognised by pimples with pussy heads, pimples that are red lumps and pimples that are under the skin often called blind pimples, black heads and white heads. This can be located all over the face, chest and back. Some teenagers will have more oil glands in their T-Zone (forehead, nose and chin) and the acne can be more prevalent there, lots of teenagers experience acne on their chest and back only so looking after that area too is beneficial.
Acne Vulgaris can be treated with the use of the correct skin care regime, it’s important to be aware of cleansing and moisturising morning and night especially at night to remove makeup, sweat and debris from the skin. At this time of life the last thing teenagers want to do is clean their skin but it’s really important and needs to be encouraged. There will be a few teenagers that might need extra assistance from a doctor for a topical medicated cream to be added to the regime if their acne is very extreme.
Ways to avoid Acne Vulgaris
• Cleanse face, (chest and back if need to) morning and night, followed by an oil free moisturiser.
• Apply a pimple gel to blemishes only.
• Wash hair daily and keep it off your face.
• Avoid touching your face.
• Cleanse and moisturise after sporting activities where sweating is common.
• Though there have been many articles relating to acne caused by certain foods this is only speculation not fact, a good wholesome diet of fruit, vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains can however do wonders for the body especially the skin, giving it a healthy dewy glow.
The good news is that Acne Vulgaris does eventually settle and fades as your child grows older and the oilier the skin the less it will age in later years which is a huge consolation.
Mismo has developed a range especially for teenagers.
A face wash free of fragrance, oils and soap that foams up to allow the easy removal of dirt, grime and especially makeup. Daily Face Wash has the added ingredients of Lactic and Glycolic acids to loosen the glue that holds the dead skin cells to the face. If you are wearing make up it’s a good idea to cleanse twice, first to remove the make up and second to cleanse the skin.
If you don’t moisturise your skin the body sends a message to the brain to produce oil to the area you’ve just cleansed as oil is needed to lubricate and protect it. In teenagers this can mean huge amounts are produced making the cleansing treatment redundant and blocking the pores all over again. Boost is a light moisturiser that is perfect for oily skins; this product does not contain oils but nourishes the skin with Organic Aloe Vera for hydration with the added bonus of Hyaluronic Acid to hold the water in the skin. The body is more than satisfied with this scenario and carries on and produces oil in smaller amounts when needed.
Blemish Gel contains special acne fighting ingredients of ac.net this ingredient unclogs the pores that cause acne, clearing the skin without drying or irritating, Organic Aloe Vera to sooth, Vitamin B3 to kill bacteria, Vitamin B5 to break down the pore plug that causes the blockage and Vitamin A to control and heal breakouts. Blemish gel can be used as a spot treatment or an all over face moisturiser for very acne prone skins.
Mismo uses large percentages of actives in their products so they work, really work. Many of the brands you see on television work too, but they work by rapidly drying the skin out because when you get rid of the oil you get rid of the acne. If you continually dry out the skin, you age it, think dried up sponge without moisture compared to a wet sponge. We have many teenagers using out anti-acne trio with amazing results.